Building an expert network – a practical workshop
For most companies, innovation-led growth these days is less about technical leadership in a single technology, and more about combining multiple technologies. To achieve this, the organization faces a number of choices.
- Invest in greater levels of internal expertise, this is costly and can reduce flexibility within the organization.
- Create a core expertise that can be supplemented by external experts, this provides added value with less risk. But there is a need to identify experts and engage with them effectively.
- Build a virtual R&D capability; this requires a different management style, an overview of synergies between the technology strands and a significant resource for managing contracts.
nu Angle has used its experience of building expert networks for clients
to inform this practical workshop. It combines a discussion of best practice – based on knowledge of what works in the real world – including interactive simulations with relevant industry experts. This workshop aims to build the skills required by a technology management team to create expert networks that will add value to a company’s technology strategy.
It will include:
Rationale for the use of external experts
- The benefits
- Challenges – organizational culture, legal and contractual issues, management of mavericks
- Key success factors based on industry experience
- Existing capability and skills gaps
Creating a framework for exploration
- How to ‘frame the need’ to elicit useful information
- Real world case-studies
- Common mistakes
- Review of 3Es – Environment, Embodiment and Enabler – for evaluating technology
- Use of mind maps and management tools
Identifying potential experts
- Role of desk research
- Data sources and evaluation of relative benefit
- Existing networks and sources of contacts
- Practical exercises with industry experts to build skills within a team
Starting to build the network
- Collating and managing the information
- Questions to ask to keep on track
- Evaluating the quality of the network
- Managing and maintaining the network
Engaging with experts
- From initiating contact to establishing a contract
For more details of how this 3-day workshop can be adapted for your organization please contact nu Angle.